Monday, July 3, 2017

Indepenence Day, A Time of Reflection


For me, as we approach the 4th of July, America’s Independence Day, it is a time of reflection, a time of sweet and bittersweet memories. I reflect on America’s historical acts of defiance in the face of incredible odds as it sought to liberate itself from the bondage of an intolerant oppressive king.
I am writing this post to pay tribute to those patriots past and present, those men and women, who gave of themselves, who sacrificed so much more than I, in liberation of a beleaguered people, both here, during the American Revolutionary War and more recently abroad. I compose this post to pay homage to those who served this nation in its quest for freedom, in its quest to unfetter others from the bondage of servitude. 
For parts of four decades I wore the uniform of a Military Service Member of the United States. In my case, I spent a career in the Army. I served in times of peace and conflict. I fulfilled my duties as both an Enlisted Airborne Infantry soldier  and later as an officer serving in a verity of assignments and locations throughout the world and finally retiring, following my last duty assignment at HQ, Army Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. 
Unlike Washington, Adams, Grant, Longstreet, Lee, Eisenhower, Patton or my father PFC Sam Alano (WWII), I have yet to fight even once to preserve America from despots like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, much less Cornwallis, Gage or King George III of 17th Century England. I am honored to have followed in the footsteps of those patriots just mentioned. I am especially privileged to have served with those men and women who gave their lives or were willing to give their lives to liberate a suppressed people from despots or ideological driven madcaps who aspired and still aspire to rule the world of their own design. 
As I have previously affirmed, America’s Independence Day is a hallowed day. It is a day of rumination honoring past and present patriots both in and out of uniform. Though many of their voices have been silenced for many years, their service to America cry Freedom from tyranny. Freedom from the shackles that bind our spirit of self-determination. Freedom from government legislation to curb Christian conscience. And Freedom from political reasoning, which too often is embraced by those of so little character. 
There may come a day when each of us will be called to respond to the cry of freedom. One will either answer the call as our Founding Fathers did in 1776…as did partisans from both North and South in 1860…as did our GI’s in 1941 and since…as did the early Church patriarchs in the 1st Century. It is my prayer and hope, we as Americans, never have to make the same choice our Forefathers made. But what if…? Is it independence or subjugation? Do we bear the cross or abandon it? Do we hold the standard high or simply drop it? As for me, it is Independence, carrying the cross and raising the standard high.  


No comments:

Post a Comment